Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seeds

7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
~ Galatians 6:7-10

We reap what we sow. If we sow apple seeds, we’re not going to get grapefruits. And if we plant tomatoes, we won’t receive watermelons. Some folks call it Karma and may understand it in different ways, but we know it as this Biblical principle. The Lord ordered this relational world in such a way so that we reap what we sow.

We are in the farming business. We are in the seed planting business. And those seeds take time to germinate, grow roots, and develop before they begin to produce fruit. After sharing these things on Sunday, I received a powerful letter from my friend Tori this week that confirmed God’s word. Tori was involved in the youth ministry and his family were some of the first and most faithful members of our congregation. Sadly he drifted from God, made some bad choices and ended up in prison. We have recently reconnected and here is the letter I received this week.

8-30-2010


Pastor Richard,

Sup bro? How’s the wife and son? Once again, congratulations on your upcoming new edition as well. Would love to be there, but God has something He wants me to do right now. Feels like training camp or something around here. Maybe it is… Doing time isn’t easy but I’m alright, really.

How’s the church doing? I’m sure they congregation has exploded now that you’re back. Wish I were there to catch your sermons, man. You know, I’ve been away since ’07, and honestly, every time I think about peace, I see New Life (ROC) and our friends. Smiling faces fill my thoughts and that’s when my day becomes cool. That’s what made me ask for some pictures. I hope I wasn’t asking for too much, if so it’s cool bro, really. Get me when you can.

God’s been taking care of me. After all this time, I’m still in His favor, man. You know how that makes me feel? Like I shouldn’t have ever turned away. But Pastor Richard, I was a coward. A true coward who ran from the path God set in front of me. That’s what happened man. I ran from the responsibility of being on the frontline 4 God. I’m sorry man. When Satan came at with guns blazing, I ran. Ran to the money, the women, the violence. And when my mother passed, I felt that God was turning His back, so I literally turned my even more. Went deeper into my wayz. Cowardess. I was so angry at God man. I was hurt. And when someone hurts you, instinctively your flesh wants to hurt them back. I didn’t want that, I just wanted to get away from the pain I was feeling. I got deeper into the life of the streets. They comforted me in a way. You know, they have a warm embrace for a short time. But one thing I learned was that the streets are loyal to no one. They love no one. The sad thing about it, some people never realize this and continue to 4give her trespasses. Even me. I’ve been robbed, stabbed, shot at, and beat within an inch of my life, literally. And that’s barely tipping the iceberg between my actions toward others. I didn’t realize God wanted me to come back all this time.

I think I’m here because God wanted to slow me down long enough to show what’s real. You know what I realized about the last time I was in His embracing arms? I wasn’t grounded in the word. I realize now that the word is vital to being a true child of God. So when the storm came, I fell… Not now though. I’m finally for the first time ever, actually studying. I’m 4real walking with Pops. Pray for me to stay strong, please. Pray for my sister as well. And if you get a chance have Sara, Allison call her 4 me, please. I want her to have positive role models like she used to have. Someone strong in the word and a genuine good person, Sara has always been the best example and Allison is right beside her. Please don’t 4get about us Pastor. I’m asking you to recognize us as lost sheep right now.

Well, I have to write my sister. Please stay strong and confident that you reach us. Those seeds you and the others planted in our hearts has finally sprouted and have begun to grow. One day we will bear fruit and continue the cycle until God calls us home. God is good and to Him, all praises are due, man. Maybe one day soon we’ll be side by side on the field again.

Last summer a friend asked me over the phone what I wanted out of life. What I was looking 4? That question rings now as I write this letter. I want to commit myself to doing the will of my Father, He who I now have my missing piece. In whom I now have my peace. Thanks again, man.

Sorry, I get enthusiastic when on this topic. Seems like its so much to tell you and 15 minutes on the phone is nothing. I know you’re busy but when you get a chance, slide up here bro, come holla at your old friend. Better yet your little brother in the feds. Give the church my love and pray 4 me to stay focused.

Always and for sure,

Tori

P.S. I’ve been thinking about the old crew, Nathan, John and Jennifer, Lacy, Nancy, Trevor and Jamie. How’s everyone doing man? If you speak to them, tell them I said “Hello”. Man I keep thinking about you all. I’m sure everyone is graduated and on with their lives, so just tell them all I’m proud of them, alright? Talk to you later Pastor.

ROC Flock ~ 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

2 comments: